Saturday 23 May 2009

Featured Blog

Today's Feature isn't exactly a blog. It is a website for an artist who does 3D illusion chalk art. A few months ago when I was researching some other art, I came across references to the work of Julian Beever. I was particularly impressed with his Anamorphic Illusions which are drawn in a special distortion in order to create an impression of 3 dimensions when seen from one particular viewpoint.


Here is one example: http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/globe.html from one point of view, it looks as if you can see the globe in 3D. But, if you look from other perspectives, it looks like a stretched out image. http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/globe-wrongview.html


Take some time and look through the images of Julian's work. It is awesome. I think the ones which look as if there is a great hole in the pavement are the most spectacular.


So, anyway, when I was going about London today with Maria Elkins and her daughter Lydia, we saw one of these works at Victoria Station. I am not sure who did the work, but it was in aid of a disaster relief charity. So, after the ladies got off to their next destination, I went by to have a better look. What was quite special was that they were willing to take your photo on a part of the image as if you were tottering over the precipice. So, I thought why not! So, here is me falling into the pavement...or not.
I usually reduce image sizes, but this time I am uploading it full size. I think you should be able to click the photo to see it better.
Note: Well I tried clicking to make it bigger, but it didn't work for me. Anyway, I think you should get the idea.

3 comments:

Judy Alexander said...

I have seen pictures of this persons work before and they are awesome. Now if I could just figure out how to go this with a quilt!!!

Sandy said...

I know what you mean! I can't work out how the could keep the perspective when they work round the side. It bears no resemblance to the original.

Actually, even from the "proper" viewpoint, I couldn't see it very well, as I am short. But you can see that with a taller person taking the photo, the image was incredible.
Sandy

Maria Elkins said...

It was so fun meeting Sandy. She graciously showed us all of the amazing quilts and costumes she's made. What an incredible treat! Sandy, you have a great eye for detail. I enjoyed seeing how you develop your quilts and the historical references you incorporate. It was fun having you point out architectural details around London, too. My daughter and I immensely enjoyed getting to know you. Thanks again!