Wednesday, 24 May 2017

Another Ramshackle

for the SAQA Benefit Auction.
This was one thing I worked on last week.

Loving this tree that sort of designed itself.


Ramshackle Abode

Another in my series of Ramshackle houses with character. This piece explores the idea of individuality which carries over into the 'accessories' which come with a house or home such as trees and garden.

Tuesday, 23 May 2017

The beads are still going on... 14-20 May

Week 19 - 2017 (delayed)

no.134

no.135

no.136

no.137

no.138

no.139

no.140

Saturday, 20 May 2017

things have been done ...

but the computer is glitching...
as well as it being a busy weekend.
Normal service will resume when I can!

Monday, 15 May 2017

Slow Progress

But at least it is progress.
I am using the opened top drawer of one desk set to hold the weight of the gown. And the other set to hold the beads closer for picking up.

Sunday, 14 May 2017

The beads are still going on... 7-13 May

Week 18 - 2017

no.127

no.128

no.129

no.130

no.131

no.132

no.133

Saturday, 13 May 2017

Getting used to new glasses

Varifocals - these seem better than the ones I tried several years ago.

Apologies for bathroom mirror selfies.

Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Ramshackle Castle

And here are a few more sneak photos. Remember I said it was a different building and that I was very excited?

Well, Castles, obviously!


Bit by bit I am making progress...interspersed with beads on the dragon gown.

I am hoping to enter this into SAQA Made in Europe II, but it also fits for the latest in-house challenge for TVCT which is Scale: Home. Scale - as in trying something different in size to something you have made before. For me, this is about depicting a different sized building and how could the larger building work with the Ramshackle technique.

Sunday, 7 May 2017

The beads are still going on... 1-6 May

Week 17 - 2017

no.121

no.122

no.123

no.124

no.125

no.126

Saturday, 6 May 2017

Ramshackle - the new one

I had to delay the start of this because I needed to start the dragon gown. Now that I am onto the embellishing of the gown, and the need to finish this (deadline) is beginning to creep up...
and the need to do something else for a while... I have finally got going.

Actually, I have worked on this for 2 days and I am already well on my way. I have all the bits cut out!

So here are a couple sneak close-up photos:
new type of tree

rather complicated

a bit of an experiment -

I will need to see if this reads as what it is. Otherwise, I will recut these into bushes!

Something on Saturday

Cows - 17

another little family

These are another big favourite for me.

Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Close-up

The beginning of the beading.
Also gives a close-up of the pattern on the leather-like fabric.

Tuesday, 2 May 2017

bead options

Some of the possible combinations of beads for embellishment on the dragon gown.

Though I did a red lining and had hoped to do red beads, it really wanted orange. So, orange it is!

Monday, 1 May 2017

the dragon gown

And so, from the pinning, I still found it hard for the folds to stay in place because of the weight.
So I threw caution to the wind and used my beefy pins.
And it worked. And the fabric still sealed up behind the holes when it was pulled out.
The fabric is pulling some because of the weight and how I have had to pin it. But it will get adjusted before it gets set in place.
In the meantime...I have decided to do away with the waterfall/wing effect because the lining is different to the fabric and it just won't behave together.

So, I have got the zip properly in to the lining. I have sewn the darts of the lining (yeah, I should have done it sooner, but I had the zip thing going on.) And I have sewn the inside of each fold to try to keep it in place.
Now I am working on beading...not just for the sake of beading or even for the decoration, (but you knew I would be doing something like that anyway)...but also for the simply practical reason to keep the folds even more secure and stop them unfolding from the weight of the fabric.

I still haven't dared trim the fabric by the zip and stitch it in place. But I am at that point now where I have to do that before doing anymore. (wish me luck)