Thursday, 19 October 2017

A new starting

Starting on my piece for next year's Stretching Art challenge, called Under Scrutiny.

I am in need of doing something that doesn't take all my energy. So, I thought I would do another Sew Large piece like this one.
H46in x W31in (117cm x 79cm)
I used slivers of fabric to recreate the image of the needle.
“Sew Large” - A closer look at one of the tools of my trade.
A simple hand embroidery needle stuck into a piece of cotton
covered with additional trial samples of cloth.
Any number of these can be found here and there around my studio.

The Stretching Art piece needs to be smaller, and part of the stretching is to try something challenging. So, I thought about using bobbin stitch  - where you work from the back using a larger thread in the bobbin.
Here is a trial (at the top above my order of sequins which came yesterday. Not to be used on this work, just taking one photo for both things!). I adjusted the stitch length and tensions using this thread I already had wound onto a bobbin.

I think it works like I wanted it to. Next step, create the quilt sandwich and figure out where to stitch.

Wednesday, 18 October 2017

tiny glimpse

So, the 3 secret pieces I worked on are complete - even with their own sleeves!

I still can't show them, but a little tease won't hurt. These are photos of the fabrics which were the starting point. The difference is pretty big for most of them.



Tuesday, 17 October 2017

Beads and sequins

I had run out of beads for the 'other bead project'. I was using a frosted (which I was calling matt, because they weren't shiny) black size 8 bead for the front. Then, as I realised I was nearing the last of them, thought I would use other black ones.
But the shiny black beads just didn't sit well with the others as the topic was about the abducted Nigerian women. So, I went with size 11 frosted black. But as time went on for those, I realised they weren't covering enough of the fabric or making enough of an impact on the jungle fabric.
The dress before I started adding beads.

The bead vendor I usually buy from at the Festival of Quilts, wasn't there this year. I thought I would be able to visit a few of them at the Knitting and Stitching show. But I realised I was just not well enough to go into London last week. I don't generally order online, but I realised it was the better option anyway...a savings, if you like, because I wouldn't be paying the entry fee nor nearly £25 for the train!

So. I pushed the button on Friday and ordered. One lot from Totally Beads came today. And I am expecting some more thread from another vendor.
Now I can catch up the other bead project. Something I can do in the evening when I have run out of energy for other things.

Speaking of beads...
I suspected I had not quite got the numbers right on the day/date of the daily beads. And especially as I have been posting the recent set from catching up for a few weeks, I realise I am out by about a week.
So, I have gone through to see what is wrong. Oh... in May, I posted only 24! Ok. No worries. I can get the little box with the May beads and matching with the screen, see which ones I hadn't taken photos of.

not as hard as I thought it might be because these were done with the grey fabric and I could match up the dots!
a bit of editing to adjust the numbers - ok alot - but as that is about as much as I can cope with at the moment. (adjusting to medicines)

Sunday, 15 October 2017

The beads are still going on...8-14 October

Week 41 - 2017

no.281

no.282

no.283

no.284

no.285

no.286

no.287

Saturday, 14 October 2017

The beads are still going on...1-7 October

from week 40

Still using orange beads, but with the brown fabric.
no.274

no.275

no.276

no.277

no.278

no.279

no.280


Something on Saturday

Cow 39

This was a gift from the Thoughtful Man some years ago.
salt and pepper in background for size.
A Beswick Hereford cow. Underneath it says Ch of Champions.
I looked it up and it seems to be A Beswick champion Hereford cow, modelled by Arthur Gredington, produced 1954-97.

Friday, 13 October 2017

Dragon Gown Finished

In September, one of the things I finally finished was the Dragon Gown. I delivered it to Lady Sew and Sew in Henley when I went up to teach the Beginner Machine Embroidery.

I had forgotten to get photos of the finished product here. But remembered when we had displayed it up there. Unfortunately, the dummy has a patterned cover and has a bigger bosom than my dummy! So, a bit of strain in the front and is gaping at the top of the zip in the back. Made straps for it from the lining fabric...mainly because I thought it might be displayed on one of the dummies that is much smaller than mine!

Anyway, This view shows the back.
This view shows the front and the placement for display next to the rolls of fabric where this pleather fabric can be found.

Thursday, 12 October 2017

The beads are still going on...24-30 September

from week 39

no.267

no.268

no.269

no.270

no.271

no.272

no.273


All of September's beaded fabric squares.

The beads are still going on...17-23 September

from week 38

no.260

no.261

no.262

no.263

no.264

no.265

no.266



Wednesday, 11 October 2017

SAQA Benefit Auction - 2017

The other day I got a notice that the Ramshackle piece I donated to the SAQA Auction had sold. Wonderful!

Ramshackle Abode

Now living in Louisiana in America.

Thinking about whether to do a Ramshackle again next year, or to try something else.

Tuesday, 10 October 2017

The beads are still going on...10-16 September

from week 37

no.253

no. 254

no.255

no.256

no.257

no.258

no.259


The beads are still going on...3-9 September

from week 36

As I said yesterday, I have been doing the daily beads, but not taking photos or trying to post. So, here is for catching up the next few days.

no.246

no.247

no.248

no.249

no.250

no.251

no.252