Wednesday 25 March 2009

Texture - Decorative Techniques

I worked on a few more samples for a course yesterday.
I took one of the textured fabrics I had made a while back, and then did bobbinwork over it. With bobbin work, you have a thicker cord wound onto the bobbin, and then work from the back. Depending on the settings, you get different effects. But, for the most part, it is like subtle machine couching.
I used different stitch lengths and tensions, making note of each one on the back. I quite like the pink and grey colours together.

When I do bobbin work, I don't change the bobbin tension. Instead, I by-pass the tension and thread the cord through the little hole in the bobbin case. This cord was almost too thick to run smoothly. So, it was happier with a tighter top tension and more like a normal stitch length.

I think this would look good for areas of a garment like a yoke, etc. What do you think?

No comments: