Thursday 29 October 2009

Cow Girls at Sunflower Branch - 2

Today I cut card and wrapping paper for the workshop at Brownlow Memorial Hall in Warfield tomorrow.
If you are in the area, stop by between 10:00 and 12:00 and make a gift box!

I also started the machine trapunto on the Cow Girls. Here is the back. The sunflower is done, and I am just starting the cows. All those random scraps of batting come in handy!

For the raw edge applique, I am trying a stitch like I have seen here and there. It is a Free Machined zigzag. Here is a detail.I am using bright variegated thread. I think it works well for this piece because it is more cartoon like. I am not sure about the zigzag for other things. Surprisingly enough, it actually is less noticeable...if you look at the stem, even though there are some bright colours going on, the thread actually blends into the background more.

If you want to see a bit more about machine trapunto and the free machine zigzag, you can look at this great tutorial by Patsy Thompson. After you have seen Part 1, go and have a look at Part 2.

No comments: