Wednesday 24 April 2013

Project for on the Go

For the last few years I have had a project on the go now and then. It was something that I could take along with me to do whilst on the train to London, sometimes on the road whilst heading to York (depending on my stomach!) and lately to take for something to do whilst visiting my MIL in hospital or in the home.

It started with a cop of soft thick cotton thread from Empress Mills. At this point I don't remember if I picked it up at a show or at their shop the one time I went there. I think it was probably a show.

I hadn't an idea for a finished project, (Well I did, I thought I would sash them with cream coloured leather, but soon thought better of it!) so I just decided to keep crocheting granny squares and worry about what to do with them later. Eventually I just decided to keep going until I finished the cop. When it was nearing the end, I did do a bit more in front of the telly to get it finished off.

And here they are!
The little pile of string was all that was left.

They were varying tensions due to the variety of times and places where I was making them, but most were similar. There were about 3 or 4 that were somewhat too loose in comparison, so even though I finished these a couple weeks ago, I have pulled the very loose ones back and started again. So, the finished amount is 52!

So, now I am thinking of what to do with them. I think I may just stitch them together to make a throw to go over one of the chairs in the lounge. The new furniture is cream coloured, so this would work. Sometimes the other throws which are more on the blanket side are a bit too big if you just want something round your shoulders.

So now as a take it along project, I am doing a 'make it up in your head' free form granny square from some green silk noil type thread I picked up from Texere Yarns.

******
By the way, tonight I am giving a talk at a quilt group in Camberley. I am showing several of my fantastical garments.

No comments: