Tuesday 9 April 2013

Maps 1+2 progress

A bit late posting tonight. I have been working on catching up on my maps for this year's Journal Quilt Project for Contemporary Quilt.

The map of my neighbourhood - which I burnt with a soldering iron - has had notation added and trees in the Crown Lands to the south of Nine Mile Ride. I will add buttons for the ancient trees after it is quilted. The extra notation, etc has been added with a brown Staedtler triplus fineliner.

I got delayed because I wanted to walk the neighbourhood to see if I could spot signs of some I found on a historical map on line. But it has been so cold and my legs don't work so well when they are cold. It is 'starting' to warm up. Cross fingers.

For the second map, I decided to keep the bird like shape of Vianopolis by having the map upside down. Just think of it as the Southern Hemisphere, if you like. ( or if you don't like!) Anyway, I decided to colour in the town plan using the Brazilian flag using Staedtler triplus fineliners. Most of the lines were outlined with Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric...it is waterproof and permanent. Doesn't seep through the fibres like Sharpies. Next step is to sandwich and quilt it.

I have also been preparing the 3rd map - schools from my early years. The computer version is all set. I am going to try printing it onto this same fabric. I have painted it with clear Ink Aid and will have a go with that to see if it works. It is drying right now.

And off to bed.

No comments: