Tuesday 21 July 2009

trousers - part 2

Yesterday I got my trousers sewn up. They just need a waistband and hems.
The photo is a bit boring...they are just basic trousers. I may put welt pockets in at some point in the foggy future, but for now, they will do.

I haven't done a fly for sometime, so I tried to follow the directions for a fly from the Armstrong drafting book but it really did my head in. Finally, I just did it by instinct. That always works better for me. Aterwards I remembered I could have gone to the Reader's Digest Complete Book of Sewing. It has quite understandable directions for construction techniques. It is what I will be directing my students to for the most part. When you first start drafting your own patterns, it is a bit intimidating to work out how to sew things together, especially if you have always had a pattern sheet to tell you the construction sequence.
Although there are updated versions of the Reader's Digest Complete Book of Sewing, it is combined with their Complete Book of Needlework. If you ever find either of the older books in charity shops or elsewhere, snap them up. They have clear, illustrated directions for all sorts of necessary techniques.

No comments: