Saturday, 11 May 2013

Swamp Dragon Completed

If you have been following the saga of the Swamp Dragon, you will be glad to know I finished it during the week.

22"h x 20"w
I am quite pleased. It has gone from a failed attempt to something quite successful. Okay, I don't think it will win any awards, but it might get someone's imagination going!

And more than that, there were several things I learned in the recent process that I am going to attempt with other large (and maybe larger?) pieces. On a small scale, I had been struggling with the puckering affect of lots of stitching. This was making me rather afraid to go large because I thought the affect would be even greater. But now I think I can be confident to do more stitching and the felt base of the motif will absorb the stitch without causing puckering.


For those of you who remember the stories that go with my dragons, there was a snippet of a start way back when I started this in 2008! Well, I think this is the dragon before it goes to live in the pond of the Princess. But I will have to have a think about the rest of the story when I get a breather sometime later in the month.

I am linking this to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday.

1 comment:

Nina Marie said...

Ohh Congrats on turning this piece around! I think I've finally conquered the puckering problem of stitching with my lilies - I needed to add more stabilizer. I'm using felt instead of batting (that's helped a ton!) and then added another tearaway underneath that. I used solvy to begin with - but lately I just used freezer paper and it worked fine!