Wednesday 8 May 2013

another Project for on the Go

A few weeks ago I showed you a crochet square project I had finished. I still haven't sewn the squares together, but I have finished the green noil silk thread piece. *(see below for more info on the yarn)

I rather made the centre of this up and eventually it decided it would make a nice doily type thing in my cream and green accents lounge.

Because it was made up in my head, the edge was a bit more wavy than I thought I would like, so I blocked it (don't faint!) to get a more regular shape.
I quite like the fact that the centre shows a less predictable pattern than spokes of a wheel going out like most crochet that is a variation of a granny square.

And look! It goes well here.
Bit by bit we will get rid of the peachy coloured lamp and shade. But one thing at a time, as my husband likes them and I don't really put lamp purchasing high on my priority list when the current one still works.

So, now I have started something else interesting with a larger hook and a remnant cop of white cottony something I bought from Empress Mills for 75p.

****************************
*Actually the thread was a green and a black thread together. Some places it was thicker than others - I suppose if woven would give the 'slubs'.

So I looked it up and here is the definition from Texere Yarns -
"Silk Noil (sometimes incorrectly called raw silk) comes from the use of very short fibers (called, appropriately, 'silk noils') to weave the fabric. The short fibers are separated from the long fibers during combing in the fiber preparatory processes before spinning.

Noil has a nubby feel with a low sheen. It resembles cotton in surface texture and sews easily. When these short fibers are spun into yarns, the resulting yarns have occasional slubs and specks that add to its appeal. Nubs vary between different weaves. Sportier in appearance, noil has the look of hopsack but is much softer...
... [The word Noil actually refers to fiber length, but is casually and usually used to refer to silk fabric made from short fibers.]"

There is a lot of good information on this page...Silk Information and Dictionary


No comments: