Monday 28 January 2013

A Special Speaker on the 23rd of February

Do you remember when I mentioned the blog 365 Dresses? Blog author Jeanne Crockett is coming to talk to the Thames Valley Offcuts sewing group about the daily project which she has just completed!

The Final dress

Put February 23rd in your diary. The talk will start at 1:30 pm at our normal venue - Birch Hill Community Centre in Bracknell. The cost is £10. (For the hall hire and for paying the speaker.) There will be a mini-workshop to follow the talk.

one of the earlier dresses in the project
This is what Jeanne says about her project:

Quote:

In December of 2011, I found myself at the end of one of those character building years. Wanting to take the initiative to pull myself up, I searched for a “project” that would interest me and allow some creativity along with some defined structure. Somehow, I stumbled upon a book titled, “365 Make Something Every Day and Change your Life” by Noah Scalin. Before I even finished the book, I’d decided that I would do a year’s project. I will complete my 366 day project on January 27th, 2013.

I’ve always loved designing and sewing and wearing dresses was my signature for years in the workplace. I discovered that making these miniature dresses is a step beyond a sketch and is a great designing tool for real-life garments and accessories. Issues of scale, color, and coordination can be attempted and the results evaluated quickly. Not to mention that the mockups are adorable, and fun to make.

I learned so much about myself, my creativity, my passions, and my world with this project. More than just making little dresses, it has changed my life for the better. I’ll be sharing my experience with the project, and my plans for future development with you on February 23rd, 2013. We’ll discuss the dresses, the lessons, and the ideas, and follow the discussion with a hands-on workshop with you making your own sample.

A recent idea

If you want more information just leave a comment, or click on my profile and you will find my email address. Other groups have been invited to join us. We'd love to have you come along. Bring a friend!

No comments: