Monday 26 November 2012

Girls Skirts

When my friend Karin was here I asked her about clothes for the children. She said they get quite a few donations for the under 10 year olds, but not much for the older children.

So, using some of the suggestions, like length(they like them midcalf) - and ease(elastic waist is easier to fit and they are happy with them), I have drafted a pattern using the standard charts for 10 year olds in the Winifred Aldrich Metric Pattern Cutting for Children. If I had access to a 10 year old, I would have just drawn round a simple skirt and made a pattern from that.

From time to time people give me fabric, so I am using some of that to make up some skirts. When I get enough for a small box, I will send them on to Ethiopia.

I have cut a version from some lightweight voile type fabric. Okay I don't like it at all, but Karin said they would like it. Basically it will be a prototype. I can send it in an envelope and get feedback. The children are not as developed as British children, so it may be that this 'size 10' may fit someone much older.

I cut a bit of shaping on the hips, and then divided and spread the pattern about 10cm in the back and 7 cm in the front. This is what WA calls slightly gathered skirt. I have drafted some pockets, too. What kid doesn't like need pockets!

If this plan works, I will have a go at shorts for the boys as well.

I have been very tired lately, so this is all I managed to do today. :( but then sometimes you just need to rest, I guess. Off to bed then!

No comments: