Friday 9 November 2012

Blueberry Pie - 2

Yesterday I mentioned some steps for the last blue piece for the CQ journal quilt challenge. If you have come over for Off the Wall Friday, just scroll down and you can read yesterday's post first to see the steps I took to develop the design.

I was pretty happy with the layout and began to think about the stitch. But then I remembered the rule about up to 25% of another colour. Okay, there is a lot of white on this. SO, I wondered if a fine layer of blue over all would work.

This paperlike fabric is something I use quite a bit. The places where I have purchased it don't exactly know what it is. I have called it the Mystery Fabric. I suspect it is a Spunbonded Fabric similar to what is used for bouquets of flowers.

I laid it over and decided
1-it gives just enough of a blue tint to the white.
2-it actually works to bring everything together even more. The writing on the organza and the blueberries on top of that. Somehow this puts them all together...perhaps in a way that layers work when merged in a photo programme?

So, I pinned it on and stitched through it, sticking with horizontal stitching on the bold blue lines and then Free Motion stitching round the berries.

Then I went round the edge with satin stitch like I usually do. But I felt the colour of blue was too blue compared to the rest. So, I went round with a lighter blue and didn't change the bobbin. Even with a further reduced top tension, the bottom blue was coming up around the side, but I actually liked that look. For me, it is more like the 2 tone blue of the berries.


And there! That's me done for that year of Journal Quilts. I wanted to get this one done early because there is a lot going on between now and the end of the year. It is one less thing to worry about. Also, I would like to try working on something larger. This way, I won't have to stop and do a small piece.

I am linking these posts to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday.

2 comments:

Vera Holmgren said...

It's so beautiful! Love the blueberries!

Nina Marie said...

very very nice use of text! what a great idea for your journal quilts!!