Thursday 26 November 2009

sample - drafting a skirt

This coming Monday in our C+G class we will start drafting the skirt block from personal measurements.

Although I can do this and do it somewhat frequently, I wanted to go through the steps again so I am freshly familiar with it, and also have something to show the students. So, that is what I have been up to today.I used the method described in the book Metric Pattern Drafting by Winifred Aldrich.

Actually, I was going to use the method I found in the handouts this college uses, but I don't feel confident enough to teach a method I am not familiar with. Especially, after talking about getting the right hip depth per person, and then discovering the other method calls for you to use a generic hip depth, I abandoned the attempt to try it. I would rather work with a method for which I am aware of what changes may be needed! If the hip depth is already not a personal measurement, what changes will that effect?

And further to that, I am to be observed that evening! Yikes. So, if I am bumbling my way through an unfamiliar set of instructions, it will hardly instill confidence in my abilities to teach!

No comments: