Thursday 5 November 2009

Book binding

As I said last week I went with my husband to the book binding exhibition at the Bodleian in Oxford. I wanted to see this book in particular.

I was not able to take a photo, but this one is from Needleprint. From what I saw, the above image is a bit lighter than the actual book. I was not able to see the difference in the colour of the silver and the gold braid. Perhaps it was the very low lighting, but even the hearts ease didn't seem to have colour. I hope it is not because it is faded.

I hope I convinced the man at the desk that they need to do a postcard. There was not much more information to be found about it other than the small blurb about the binding in amongst the other bound books of that era. I think it should have at least had something to draw attention to the fact that it was produced by "royal hand."

As quoted here at the Crafting Spot the Princess Elizabeth translated 'out of frenche ryme into english prose, joyning the sentences together as well as the capacitie of my symple witte and small lerning coulde extende themselves.' It was wrought for her step-mother, Katherine Parr. The dedication reads: 'From Assherige, the last daye of the yeare of our Lord God 1544 ... To our most noble and vertuous Quene Katherin, Elizabeth her humble daughter wisheth perpetuall felicitie and everlasting joye.'

Among other interesting books, the Crafting Spot also has an image of another book the Princess Elizabeth made for Katherine Parr.

As you may know, I did a series of Journal Quilts which I called "The Elizabeth Pages": A private textile journal of Elizabeth the First. It was a flight of my imagination...what if Elizabeth the First had done a textile journal?...what would it look like? At the time, I didn't know she may well have done something of the sort if she had thought of it!

I did another related series I called the Forgotton Tudors. (further down on the Journal Quilt Page) At sometime I had intended to put them all together with the first series to make a book, but I was never quite sure what the cover would be like. Now, I think the cover will at least be inspired by these two books that Elizabeth actually DID make!

and so til tomorrow I wish thee "perpetuall felicitie and everlasting joye." I think it worked for Katherine Parr
...she actually outlived Henry!

No comments: