Sunday 3 February 2013

'And the Bead Goes On...' 27-31 Jan, 1-2 Feb


2013 - Week 5 Daily Beads

no.27


no.28


no.29


no.30


no.31


January Beads



February - beaded badges
no.32


no.33



There was a small pack of cards in one of the Christmas Crackers this year. For some reason it seemed they would make a good foundation for being wrapped with fabric and embellished. So, this is the plan for February. At the moment, I am using the random compositions made by cutting this fabric with little squares. The plan is to highlight the squares with beads.

I was drawn to use the cards because I really wanted to do something with the beads on the edge. I have made small things with that sort of edging in the past. I turned them into little brooches.

Previous beaded badges

Throughout the month the embellishment on the face of the rectangle will change - sometimes the colour, sometimes buttons and sometimes sequins or whatever. At the moment, the beaded edge will always use white, but I may change the in between colour.

At the end of the month, I will do a tutorial on how I have made them. Between the fabric and card is a rectangle of felt to pad it out and to have something to stitch into for the stitches. Then there is another rectangle of felt to cover the back.
Just now I am working out the easiest/fastest way to do them. They take some time to prepare.

2 comments:

Kathleen Loomis said...

these are a nice change from January. what size are the cards?

Sandy said...

Hi Kathy,
Actually they are a quite weird size. approximately 1 5/8 x 2 1/8 inches. Not quite anything acurate in centimetres either!
Sandy