Tuesday 9 March 2010

Stormy Seas

My latest effort for the Fast Friday challenge. This time we were to work with manipulated fabrics to make a landscape, seascape, or cityscape, etc.

The delay this time was not just other responsibilities, but that I wasn't sure I really wanted to do a landscape. If and when I get round to doing one, I think I would like to take more time with it.

Anyway, finally today, I dug around in my texturised fabrics from the workshop I did some time back. This grey taffeta was a part of a piece that was not textured as much as I would like. So, I pulled up some sections from the fusible interfacing it was attached to. Then sat and manipulated it by hand, pinning waves in various ways.


Then I thought. What does it look like? Stormy Seas.

So I found a fabric with a ship in my stash. I found it wanted a cluster of rocks at the top. and then it wanted a lighthouse. I decided to leave the organic shape of the piece and mounted it onto black linen. Then I sandwiched it and added the silver cord which I couched down for waves. I quilted it further with waves and clouds at the top! Satin stitch round the sides and Voila!

One of the quickest pieces I have made in sometime.

No comments: