Saturday 18 January 2014

Barkcloth to Artcloth - auditions

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I have received some barkcloth in the post. This is to be embellished by me and then will be made up into little shoes. It is all going for a charity to help create jobs in Uganda, and to keep from losing the traditional methods of producing the barkcloth.

Anyway, this week I have been sussing out ideas for my design. I think I can get the design for two pairs of shoes from this piece.

I decided to use some coconut shell disks - also from Africa. And some shell disks. The natural textures compliment each other. I also have some flat beads I bought in Houston in 2007! They are from South America. I have quite a few, but so far they haven't really been right for other projects. But as they are green and rust coloured, they also work well for the barkcloth. and then to hold the stacked beads down, I have some seed beads that are creamy white with green and orange stripes! So, there is the idea. Now to do something about it.

Today is the TVCT meeting, so I will be busy all day with it. I can't believe it is our 5th birthday! If you want to find out more about the group, you can follow that link to our website.

No comments: