Thursday 5 December 2013

in the post from Uganda!

Yesterday I found this in the post.
A piece of bark cloth! all the way from Uganda (but not direct).

I have been hearing a lot about Uganda lately. So, when I heard about a project where I could use my sewing/embroidery skills to help, I knew it was just the thing.

Bobby Britnell has teamed up with Janet Middleton of Starchild shoes for a project called Bark cloth to Art cloth. This supports a programme overseen by Hands Up For Uganda. The outcome is to keep from losing the knowledge of processes involved in making bark cloth in Uganda, while at the same time providing work for people in the area. Bobby Britnell explains more about the programme in Uganda here.

The information about participating in purchasing and making a piece of art cloth from bark cloth is found in this pdf.

My bark cloth and the letter with it from Janet.

Janet will be making the pieces of art cloth into small children's art shoes like the wearable shoes she makes for her business Starchild shoes. You can see photos of a pair of art cloth shoes being made if you scroll down on the latest newsletter. The art cloth that has been made needs to get to Janet soon. Currently they are saying by the end of January.

At any rate, it only costs £3 to get a piece of bark cloth. So I would encourage you to get involved if you do any sort of stitching! It can be hand or machine stitch, surface design, applique or whatever comes to mind! Janet sends a template of the size of the part of the show which will be made from the bark cloth. you can stitch enough for the shoes, or an all over design on the cloth. Any left over pieces will be used to make a scrap book of the adventure.

You can see some of the shoes which have been made already if you go to their facebook site. I am not a facebook person, but this is public and you can just look at the work without having to join.
All the shoes will be on display at the forthcoming ICHF (International Craft and Hobby Fair) Fairs 2014.

At the moment, I am having a think about what will go onto my piece.

No comments: