Monday 14 January 2019

24,000 technique explained.

Questions answered... Fabric size near the end of the post.

Stacks
This is day one, I used what I call stacks.
There is a small sequin at the bottom where it touches the fabric. I find it just adds a bit of grounding. and overall, glistens in different ways when the fabric moves.
I used 4 beads of one colour, 2 beads that create a contrast and then 4 beads of another colour...making 10 beads! The 2 different colours with 4 beads each are strung in different patterns for each set of 8. On the stacks, the 2 beads of contrast are used as stop beads at the top of the stack.

Each set leaves the centre open for now. So, there are 8 stacks each with 10 beads!
This set makes the centre of what will be a 9 patch.

Arches (formerly known as humps)
Then Day 2 starts the sets of arches. Going around the set of stacks.

Each arch starts and touch down in the same square. If you look at yesterday's post, you can see that I have been doing a bit of playing with the direction they point. But I will go crazy if I make that a Rule!
I am not going to get bogged down when it comes to using the same kind of bead or even bead pattern somewhere else. after all I am recording 24,000 People!!

Reminder of 5 sets done...it makes the shape of a plus or a cross.

The centre one is not so easy to see because the stacks splay out.

Reminder of 9 sets, which makes one big square.
What I did to fill in the corners, was to swap the size 15 beads. Now shiny light green becomes part of the main arch and the opaque blue becomes the contrast. It is not easy to see, but I have always found that with patterns on a small scale, it gives more interest from a distance if you change things about. (Like this... my dog is black, but when you are closer there is auburn tips that show in the sun and brown hair amongst the black ones.)

For the moment, I am using more of my size 15 beads because I have had them for ages and they never seem to run out! But I don't expect to only use the combo of 2 types of size 15 beads with 1 type of size 11.

And finally,
Fabric
an idea of the size of the squares. It is almost 2squares to 1/2in, but not quite! or 2 squares to 1cm, but not really. 😬

Approx. 41-42" (104-107cm) long (it isn't cut straight!)
42.5" (108cm) wide

2 comments:

kathy loomis said...

I understand it better now! thanks for the details.

I think this is going to be a wonderful project -- if it doesn't get too heavy for you to work on as the year goes by!

LA Paylor said...

very cool