Wednesday 12 September 2018

Ramshackle ideas 3

So - Fabric.
I want to have forest, mountain, desert and sea. As I say, these fabrics are darker than I am used to working with.
I have had a bit of back and forth deliberation about the sea.

The one to the right was chosen along with the others because it worked colourwise. It is meant to be waves. Yes...up close. Further away it looks like rocks.
So, turn it over...middle in the photo. Not as bad, I could work into it to make it more wave-like. But still. It shouts too much compared with the others which are muted.
Look through cupboard...oh! This really does say waves and in a more subtle way.

So, here it is with the others.
However, there was not enough of it to work when I scaled up. I wanted this whole thing to be large, and that piece wasn't large enough.
Eventually, I realise it wanted a darker fabric...perhaps blue? But it had to be a blue that worked with the sepia mountains, desert and the forest.
Then I looked for darks and found this.

a close up. From a distance you can't really see the swirl colour. So, it works with the others and can be suggestive of the sea.

The fancy name for this kind of thing is 'auditioning' the fabric. So, the cast is chosen!
I am trying to ignore all those 'make it complicated' ideas. Simple, my friends, is not simple.

No comments: