Saturday 1 September 2018

I like Thankful Thursday


I am rather exhausted...but for good reason. (Sorry, I was that tired, that this post didn't happen!)

I like that this pile in my studio

became this!

Thames Valley Contemporary Textiles Gallery at West Country Quilt and Textile Show.
The exhibition was already getting good comments before we even got most of it up!
Thank you to Jane B and Carol N who worked together with me to get it up. It was a long day. I left here around 8am for the 2hr drive to Bristol. I didn't get home til 8pm!

Also, another like - cheese twills or crisps. Inspired by some of the cooking shows and using up some dairy free cheese which even the men around here think was Very Smelly. When they have been baked, the smell is much more tolerable and they taste very good.
This was a lactose free mature cheddar. You can do this with normal cheddar, too. That is where the original idea started.
before - piles of shredded cheese

after - baked!

Because it was more like normal cheese, it still had a lot of fat that rendered out of it. These have been given to the men who like mature cheese because it is still tooooo strong for me.

The Thoughtful Man has been gardening. These are Hollyhock seeds.

But why they have to hang about by the cooker, I don't know.

I like words and finding out about them. So, palimpsest - this word intrigues me. I know what it means - in a sense - because people use it a lot.

and then it came to mind when I discovered this at the back of one of the rows of galleries at the Bristol Show.
It actually means, according to Wikipedia, a manuscript page, either from a scroll or a book, from which the text has been scraped or washed off so that the page can be reused for another document. I knew about that, too, but I didn't know it had a specific word to describe it. So, now I know about the old meaning and about what the word now describes.

I like getting a chance to meet up with friends we haven't seen for a Long Time! Our friends, visiting from Australia, are here just a short time in the UK, so we decided to share their time with other friends together at church.

No, no one has any connection to potatoes, but I forgot to take a photo! These photos are about making potato salad for the shared meal.
Because it was the day after the exhibition set up you saw at the top, I ended up sitting on the seat of my walker to peel and cut these. I normally don't peel - takes too much time and peelings don't kill you. But this was a special event as we hadn't seen these friends for 7 years!

And so, Friday became the rest day. Including considering some of the ideas which have been coming forward during the summer.

As usual go to LeeAnna's blog to see what others like this week.

1 comment:

Angie said...

How wonderful to see your 'boxes' transformed into the exhibition! And I wish I had those hollyhock seeds … even if they are hanging about the cooker. We are expecting 6 guests on Friday - lots of food prep will be going on around our cooker!