Tuesday, 29 October 2013

skirt finishes

I finally got the finishing steps done on the two skirts I started a few weeks ago.

One needed a zip and I didn't have any darker zips. But when I did buy some, then I was on to another project.

So here is the blue skirt finished. It replaces a straight skirt from the same fabric that I was overzealous with overlocking took in too much when I lost weight a few months ago. I still had enough fabric to make another.
I decided I would prefer an A-line skirt instead of a straight one this time.
Here is a glimpse of the lining. I used up a bit of this and a bit of that because I hadn't got enough of either. So, it is a bit of a secret with the posh shot taffeta!
I did a free hanging lining and stitched French tacks to keep the layers together.

The other finish is the skirt I made from a duvet cover a friend gave me. I need some basic summer skirts, so this will be a 'beige' version, even though the fabric is a quiet tan stripe.

To be honest, it was a bit too plain, so I have stitched a line of little shell sequins here and there. Three spaced lines in the front and one at centre back.
The detail shows the centre back. If you click on the photo, it should enlarge enough to show how the beads are secured with a metallic bead.

It will keep the skirt interesting, but still allow me to wear it with blouses that make their own statement. A bit like tone on tone embroidery.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Love the idea of using shell sequins to take it up a notch ~ smart thinking, and super sewing ... J