Wednesday 4 September 2013

Sorting

Today I have been sorting my bead and sequin stash. It is fun to do. Pouring beads from tubes into little bags - they take up less room - and so on.

The main purpose of this is because my friend from Zimbabwe is back in the UK for a few weeks. One of her friends is starting a programme to help child-led household and grandmother led households. She is teaching them how to make beaded necklaces and bracelets to sell.

So, since I have quite a lot of beads...(yes, an understatement!)I may as well share them. Some packets were purchased because I wanted a colour for a future project. at some shows or online sites you can sometimes get something like 100gm for somewhere between £2.50 and £5.50 or so. Even if I did a huge project, I am sure I won't need 100gms of one colour. So, I have measured out amounts...larger amounts from larger bags of beads and smaller amounts from bead tubes or small bags.

And then there are bags of mixed beads. I don't really like using mixed beads. I usually decide on a pattern using specific beads and I am not fond of fishing in bead soup to find the ones I want.

Finally there were some beads that I know I won't use for some reason or another, so they may as well go to someone who can!

Beads for Zimbabwe

And then when I got done with that, I did the sequins! Some of those little plastic containers have 1000's of wee sequins. The amount I saved back will be more than enough. And if not, they are easy to replace.

Sequins for Zimbabwe

And no, you can't really tell I have made any difference in my stash!

Now, if I could just find the mother of pearl buttons I got from the button lady at the Festival of Quilts! I want to use them for one of the alternate months. Mind you, I have October planned and have 2 other choices I could use for December. So, I may be using them next year. But they will show up at some point. I just want to put them with the other buttons so I know where they are.

No comments: