Saturday 23 May 2015

Something on Saturday

In the garden - I have taken some photos of a variety of reds happening in the garden.
Aquilegia (Granny’s bonnets, columbines)
I really like the contrast with the red and white. Brightening up even rainy days!

Wikipedia says:
The genus name Aquilegia is derived from the Latin word for eagle (aquila), because the shape of the flower petals, which are said to resemble an eagle's claw. The common name "columbine" comes from the Latin for "dove", due to the resemblance of the inverted flower to five doves clustered together.
In the back garden...
I love the dark red in the leaves of the plant in front.

Buds and open flowers.

I love the bits that poke backwards! Like leggings for fairies.
In the photo above, you can see some still at the curling open stage.

Wikipedia also says:
the five points that stick out further than the petals are the calix (challis)

Last year we had some purple/blue ones in the front, but I haven't seen them yet. Instead, we have these.
At the moment, lost amongst the green. I had to get up close for these photos. But I am glad I did!
Not as dusty and sad as they looked from a height. Just a bit more subtle than the red and white ones.

I am starting a work which I will be feeling my way through, so may not be ready to post it til I am happy that what I have in my head might actually be working! I will post a few more of the reds I notice in my garden over the next week.

No comments: