Monday 24 March 2014

Board Shorts - 1 cont.

I finished the shorts. There are plenty of things I want to do differently.

One of the strange things about the facing on the waist is that each piece was meant to be added to the panel and then the seam for the panel and the facing were sewn all in one go...then turned down later.

So, my idea of adding elastic by stitching it to the seam allowance? not possible.

So I stitched it to the facing and then had to stitch the facing near the bottom to the side seams and so on in order for it not to flop up.
The result is okay, but not very easy to do and not really the result I want to put my name to.
Easily fixed for next time though, by doing the facing the normal way of stitching facing pieces together and adding to the waist. It means the waist seam allowance is continuous and the elastic will be able to be stitched to it.

I also had to add a hook and eye to the zip shield to keep the tension of the elastic from pulling the fabric back to reveal the zip. So, I will adjust the fly opening. I may even add the patterns together so that it is a grown on fly shield. at the end of the day, it will be one less fiddley bit.

But oh well, someone will be glad to wear them!

No comments: