Sunday 26 October 2008

Hairpin Crochet


A few years ago in a needlework book, I read about Hairpin crochet. It sounded like something I could do. I can do most things, but I can't knit, and don't think I could be patient enough for lace making. However, I can crochet.

So, that began my search for more information, including how to obtain the hairpins for the crochet! For about 5 years now, every time I go to the Knitting and Stitching show in London, put on by Twisted Threads, I go to the Lace guild asking about it. At first I thought I was looking for hairpin lace. Well, it is sometimes called that. I found plenty of ladies who said they had done a sample for their City and Guilds: Lacemaking courses in the year dot or whatever. But, finally last year someone told me to ask the Crochet guild (I didn't know there was a Crochet guild!!) So, I did. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to another lace stall, ...I finally found a lady who told me a bit about it. She was going to send me a spare one she had in a drawer at home. But I never heard. So I haunted them again this year.

I went straight to the crochet guild stand and stood at in a queue waiting, and looked over to the lace stand, and LO and BEHOLD....the lady was doing it!!! So, I said "You're doing it!" (As you do to complete strangers.) and here it was, the lady from the previous year who had lost my bit of paper with contact details. I think she knew I would show up, but she was actually doing a project with it. SO, she showed me how to do it, then pulled out a little bag with her pins in and gave me one for £1. Thank you very much, lady! (who I think is a chairman or something , but I was so excited, I forgot to remember her name. oops.)

She also told me there was a lady who sells vintage sewing books. So, I trotted over there, and found one on Hairpin crochet! how cool! Several ladies told me I could make one of the pins from bending a coat hanger. I am sure I could, but I go by the "wing it" method so often anyway, I thought I better at least start properly! I already have ideas of how I could use this in garments and also ways to make it more radical. So, watch this space.

Actually, I am very tempted to take this to Houston to do on the plane. However, I am sure due to the unusual shape someone running the airport scanner might take issue with it. After the long quest, I do not want to lose it. But I am showing you a photo anyway. And now I will be sensible and leave it home.
By the way, there was also a stand in the vendor hall selling some pins, but they were much wider. They said they can't find the narrow ones. If you know where I can get a narrow pin like the one on the book, please let me know.

No comments: