Thursday 1 November 2018

I like Thankful Thursday

I like the colours of fruit and veg in the autumn.
Every year for quite sometime now I have decorated the tables at the front of the church for our Harvest Service. This year, I wasn't sure how I'd be after the op on my eye. The Harvest Service was less than a week from my op. I didn't know if I could manage bobbing up and down to get bits and pieces out of the bags of produce people had brought for the display.
So, the other ladies did it! As I have been telling them, it is about putting one thing next to another and letting the colours God made do the work!
I really enjoyed seeing how other people put things together this year...(out of the random amount of eyes I could see from!)
(And if these photos are fuzzy, you know why!)
I like making bread, too. So that was my job. Put the stuff in the machine and let it work...only it wasn't that simple. Still, the end results looked good. (See if you can spot them amongst the display.) and then we sliced them up for the meal.

On Saturday, I went to a local SAQA meeting. We had the privilege of having input and guidance from Richard McVitis through a day long presentation and discussion about the professional side of being an artist - things like what you call yourself, marketing yourself, showing work, pricing work etc, etc. Very Good! I remember seeing his work at the Knitting and Stitching Show several years ago. I loved it.
front and back of a teaching sample...but which is which!

Quiet and sedate. But with obvious delight at the process of making stitches.

Richard also spoke about some of the artists he was inspired by. I loved the look of the work by Anne Wilson. There was a whole book about her work, so I snapped a few photos so I could remember it.

 Richard's work is minute - extremely small stitching. Much of it is about time. The visual connect with Anne's work is strong. 

Especially the work she did, at the time of writing the book, using human hair as thread.

Not so many I likes this week, but a lot of what is going on visually for me. ( not just because of my left and right eyesight!)

oh, and a bit of space!

 I gave this away to the ladies who run InStitches...to use with transfer printing. (We met at their studio workshop space for the SAQA meeting.)
Someone was getting rid of it a few years ago and I thought, "I will use it to do stuff with transfer paints!"
But I didn't.
So, I decided that since InStitches teaches that technique, but have been using an iron, they could do more with it than I could. and I have the added benefit of space behind my overlocker to do somethings with that! I had some ideas for Christmas presents. Whether I will do them? we shall see.

I am very thankful for aluminium foil! On Sunday, we came home to a cold oven and grey dust over the food that was meant to be cooking on automatic in the oven. SO glad everything was covered with aluminium foil!
The Thoughtful Man got to work cleaning the oven. (He loves cleaning and sorting! No, you can't have him!) And discovered it was the heating element...again.

So, he went upstairs and came back with a replacement. The heating element seems to go periodically, so last time he ordered 4! I told you he was Thoughtful. 😍
So, dinner was delayed, but the new element worked and the food cooked properly. I guessed it had been about 1/3 of the way through the time it was meant to cook. We ate, enjoyed it and haven't become ill. 😷

Go have a look at LeeAnna's blog where she has links to 'likes' others have posted.

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those displays at your church for Harvest are just lovely! The bounty of nature that we enjoy! Your thoughtful man is a good guy to have around!

LA Paylor said...

lol My husband would do that order 4. I accuse him of hoarding but he likes to have stuff on hand. Something keeps shorting out the heating element... better have that checked before a fire!

I love the idea of Harvest focus at church and the ladies did a find job or arranging the vege and breads...

Fun post Sandy!

Angie in SoCal said...

I have one of those thoughtful men at my house, too. We are blessed. The tables came out fine. Hope you've recovered from the surgery now. Blessings,

Suzanne said...

The Church Harvest display is absolutely beautiful...love the Fall colors!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The Church harvest display is gorgeous and I could spy your bread. Seeing your oven all I could think of is yikes! How nice that you could give the press to someone who could use it. Sometimes it is hard to let go of stuff that we thought we would use "someday".

PaintedThread said...

Bummer on the heating element. Yay for handy husband! All those veggies are lovely.

Jean said...

Hope your surgery recovery is going well. What a pretty display! I always like the idea of baking bread but the results are usually mixed. Hope you've had a happy Thursday.