Thursday 9 May 2019

I like Thankful Thursday

This week's likes.
I like very much a few days to think after having completed the Ramshackle refugee piece "But is it Safe?" I posted about it yesterday.

Also much joy over a wee royal babe!

Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor
from here

and Great Excitement yesterday because my friends and I have been praying for years for this dear lady. What faithfulness, what endurance and fortitude! I pray Asia Bibi will settle in now safely getting to know daughters who grew up while she was waiting.

I am currently reading a book about the events around 1000-1066+ William the Conqueror and the other contestants for the Throne of England. Using what is known, but in a novel form. Warriors of the Dragon Gold.
I haven't got far because the print is very small, but I think it will be good. I hope! 3 of 4 books I attempted to read over the Bank Holiday were rejected after a couple pages. Too much about rude things and not enough about the story. I would rather read a good story than drag my mind through the gutter! I picked these up from a Charity Shop. They looked good, but were not my type.

But one of them was good. I like detective stories, quirky anti-types and stories set in another period.

The Norfolk Mystery - A bit of Poirot mixed with Wodehouse and a large bit of unique and often annoying detecting. 😵 Although the cover is a bit strange, I guess it is meant to be a tree and not an atom bomb? It is just funny (but not full of jokes...maybe British Humour?) and a good read. The detective is eccentric and wears you out reading about him!  You really feel you are reading a book written in the years before WW2, but it was published in 2013. So, for me this makes Ian Sansom a good writer.
I have discovered that there are other books in the "County Guide" series. So, those are on the list to look for next.

Anyway, something else wonderful.
The first peony bush is blooming. And the one next to it is thinking about it.

The yellow poppies have opened.


And I am about to do a project that doesn't take so much deep thinking. Many to choose from!! I don't know which one, but I am going to do something!

To see what the others like, follow the link to LeeAnna's blog.

8 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Sandy! We are all excited about Archie over here across the pond too! Your yellow poppies look so pretty. I thought poppies only came in red/orange color. The Norfolk Mystery sounds like a good read. I'm going to check on that one. Sue and I both like mysteries and quirky is good too. We watch Poirot or Columbo whenever we get the chance. ~smile~ Roseanne

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

We were happy to hear about "Archie' here, too. That was very good news about Ms Bibi and her difficult life. I'm so glad she made it to Canada. Oh your garden is lovely.

LA Paylor said...

peonies! Love! It's snowing here again this morning. Congrats on the baby... Archie... old name, lovely. Thanks for the book reviews! I like the same qualities. LeeAnna

Shannon said...

Your flowers are so lovely and bright! I and I loved reading the story and seeing your refugee quilt. It's a very compelling piece. And of course three cheers for Archie (I love that name). So happy he's here safely!

PaintedThread said...

Interesting stuff! The flowers are really pretty.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great likes. I was thrilled about Archie too, but how Harry announced his arrival was just awesome. Lovely flowers. Obviously my new is skewed/censored whatever you may want to call it. I was not even aware of Asia Bibi I look forward to reading the complete article. Kind of scary about the Pakistani Government and how it appears that the church runs the state.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Sandy, i Just love your piece, But is it safe? It tells everything. Well done! Hugs!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It's always exciting to see a new royal baby being introduced to the world! Love seeing the flowers! I'll be looking into those books. Sound very interesting!