Saturday 27 April 2019

Something on Saturday

Treasure 17

I love this little glass dish.
It was a wedding gift from my textiles/Home Ec teacher.
The story is this. When I was in high school, the Home Ec teacher was quite strict. Other girls didn’t like her at all. However, somehow she saw I had some talent and she really encouraged me. I took extra classes with her ( because I was made fun of in study hall, so took lots of extra classes to avoid it), and so had more time to sew! And more time to learn.
There was a lovely wool twill that had been donated to the school. She knew we didn’t have much money for extras, but wanted me to learn to work with more than cotton. So, she gave it to me! I made a straight skirt and a waistcoat with collars and welt pockets. Another outfit used the same pattern but the waistcoat was a mauve gabardine with contrast flowery fabric. The skirt was of the flowery cotton. I made another a-line skirt from the gabardine. She was impressed with the way I made my own take on the pattern.

Anyway. When I married about 10 years later, I invited her. She could not come, but sent this little glass bowl. 😊



1 comment:

irene macwilliam said...

sad but lovely story, sad the bit of why you took extra classes but you won out in the end