Friday 15 February 2019

The other bead project

While I wait for the spectaculars, I have been slowly working on the other bead project. It sort of got put by when I started finding it difficult to see a year or so ago. With the up-lighter, the room light, the sunshine and some times the positional light, I can see enough to work on my bead and hand stitching projects

So I finally finished last section on the Captured/Abducted dress.
I have 20 more days of beads to use to fill in here and there to even up some of the edges.

Now to cut about 6in from the hem to use for straps and possibly to make lacing in the upper section of the back.
The marks are representing the girls and women continually being captured and abducted in Nigeria. There are the situations where schools are attacked and large groups of girls abducted. But even in various villages throughout Nigeria, girl and women are often taken as they go about their daily task or on the way to school. I wanted to do something to raise awareness.

When I started the project, the numbers I read worked out that from 2011 approximately 30 were abuducted each month! Like one each day! So, each mark (bar and gate) has not only the usual |||| / (5) but 2 more||. One set of seven (7 years from 2011 to the end of 2018) for 365 days.

I am considering putting a line of single beads along the hem to represent families whose lives are so drastically changed because of these abductions.  Practically, it will help with the hang of the dress.



No comments: