Friday 10 November 2017

Required, returned and not required

No, not saying rejected. Just not chosen!

So, first...
Ramshackle Castles has been returned from its outing to FOQ and Bristol

next...
The response has come in for the 3 secret pieces I was working on.

Two of them have been chosen to be part of the exhibition that is in conjunction with the upcoming book OURstory by Suzanne Jones. Quilted Art that is about the marginalised and stories of human rights.
I can't show those 2 yet. They are short listed for going into the book, but it will be down to the publishers which ones are selected for the book.

But!
I can show the one that wasn't required.
Captured Butterflies
African ladies in their colourful dress remind me of a flight of butterflies
joyfully dancing and celebrating.
Imagine a place 2x the size of California, where over 2000 women and girls are taken
and are still being taken.
Imagine the colour going out of that place.
One by one like bright butterflies captured.
Imagine the families; fathers and mothers, husbands and children whose loved one has been captured. Imagine their grief.
 Imagine the sleepless nights wondering what they are going through.
Imagine the captured one was your loved one.

Why don't we know about this? Where are the protests? Where are the media discussions?

And no, not "just one of those things that happens in Africa."!


“Although the Chibok girls were the most high-profile casualties,
UNICEF estimates over 2,000 girls have been abducted by Boko Haram since 2011.”
Source: UNICEF; Open Doors UK http://www.opendoorsuk.org/news/stories/nigeria_160413.php

detail
Curiously, it is the one I like the best. I am still very confident about it and so will be looking for other opportunities to show it.

And probably will send a better photo. My son has given me his camera to use and it is sooo much better. I think I will keep the other one in my handbag for out and about sorts of photos.

No comments: