Friday 21 July 2017

The 70,273 Project - Middling 1 complete!

These titles are what I am giving them so I can keep track of what I am doing. Each quilt is given a number by Jeanne, who organises the project....so she can keep track!

This quilt commemorates 400 of the men, women and children who were killed by the Nazis because they weren't considered of value to society or were too much of a burden.

As I said before, I overlapped scrap pieces from having made blocks when I started taking part in the project. Then I stitched the scraps together with the raw edges exposed. For me this says something about pieces/people that would normally be considered of no use, by my taking 'useless' pieces and making them useful.
Anyway, I counted the pairs of x's and there was 392, so I stitched 8 more to make 400. (There were probably that many before, but I had to take some out because they were to near the edge for putting the binding on.)

You might like to get an idea of what the families of these people were told about their loved ones 'death'. Read some of the letters to family from officials.

No comments: