I talked about the progression of this work last week. But the issue I had looming in the back of my mind was hanging. These fabrics, back to back, do not have the stiffness you would have for a 3 layered quilt. They are pretty drapy.
When I tried seeing how this would hang...yes. my predictions were confirmed. The sack carried by the large figure would flop because nothing was holding it up.
I had begun to try an idea back when I was developing the look on the rust side of the large figure. I put a piece of the black fabric behind the head of the figure.
To me, it seemed good, but not quite enough. So, I used another piece of rusted fabric to create a background.
But the little girl with the goods on her back was cut out facing the wrong way! So, this is where we are now.
I have pinned and tacked pieces in place so I can stitch them.
I am a bit sad to give up a piece that is shaped and not made into a rectangle. But that is where you work in a series. I can work another piece using that concept and other things I have learned from this piece.
However, I haven't given up on double-sided - yet! So watch this space to see how or if I can manage it.