Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Wardrobe - Knit top

Being very discouraged about the meds v weight gain which I mentioned recently, I decided to take motivation from the current Pattern Review Wardrobe contest. Plenty of things fit, but not necessarily things that go together! Since I am in need of some basics anyway, (because I tend to go for interesting fabrics!) I have settled on a black and off-white scheme. I may introduce colour at some point, but for now I am sticking with those contrasts.

The rules:
The contest runs 1 April through 15 May, 2015

"During this 6-week contest, you'll be required to sew the following 9 items:
4 tops
3 bottoms
2 sewist's choice
The tops may be tee's, blouses, shirts, tunics--pretty much any item that covers the top half of your body!
Bottoms may be pants, shorts, jeans, skirts, culottes, jumpsuits, etc.
The 2 "Sewist's Choice" items may be another top or bottom, a dress, a jacket or cardigan (just examples).
ONE item, and only one item, can be something previously purchased or sewn or purchased during the contest.
For this contest, swimsuits will not be eligible.
Each top must coordinate with each bottom. A dress, if included, must coordinate with the other items but may be worn alone."

So, of course I started with a challenge to myself. I seldom if ever sew knits. But I had a piece of black firm knit (not up on the terminology!) so this is the first garment.
I had to manipulate the photo on the computer so it would show black knit...more important than true wardrobe door colour!

I used a bodice pattern I drafted a few years and several pounds ago. I know enough about knits to know you don't really need much ease. I had enough of the black knit to trial the garment and then to make it up. The first try was a bit too snug, but I made it long enough to perhaps be a body shaper of sorts. (although the proof of that will have to be in the wearing!) So, possibly a wearable toile.

The second try was fine and I went on to finish it off nicely as you can see in the photo above. I used a topstitching stitch to give a change from dull black to a sharper more interesting look.

The bodice pattern I used had a side bust dart. I traced it off and then rotated the dart into the neckline.  I have taken photos of that process, but I might not be able to do the tutorial on how-to until later in the week. And hopefully it won't be too long before I can get some wearing the clothes photos, too.

So, that is no.1 out of the nine! At this writing, I am pretty much halfway.

3 comments:

underatopazsky said...

The top stitching really lifts it - so stylish!

Maggi said...

I really like the detailing on the neckline

365 Dresses said...

This is a great-looking top, Sandy! I have the same problem with buying the interesting fabrics!