Saturday 16 March 2019

Something on Saturday

A bit late today...

Treasure 11

I love old books. I have quite a few I have collected, most from before I came to England Over 30 years ago.
This book is very special, not just because it is about Abraham Lincoln....
It was actually written the year President Lincoln was killed.
So, to me, that is a 'first source', if you like.
The author, Dr. L.P. Brockett lived at the same time Lincoln did. So, the collection of speeches and the like would have been be current events for him.
I left this image large, so you should be able to read the first page of the preface if you click on the image. According to Dr. Brockett, other books had been written about Lincoln. But they were political books about Mr. Lincoln's efforts to become President, why he was counted as a good President, and much about his first administration.
So, Dr. Brockett wanted to give a different perspective, a view of President Abraham Lincoln as a man in all areas of his life.

and one more image, from the back page.
PS I did a lot of study about the American Civil War when I was in High School. So, that gives this book even more meaning for me.

No comments: