Thursday 14 December 2017

I like Thankful Thursday

More things to like and be Thankful about!

Morning ritual - 1 half cup of orange juice topped up with hot water to take my meds. At the same time, fill the lovely glass teapot - a gift from the Thoughtful Man - with 2 Lemon and Ginger Teabags and more hot water. Leave to get on with steeping while I am making my porridge. The glass teapot means I can tell what colour it is! Cool.

The folded over sunflower log cabin was gifted by my mom. I think it was probably meant for placing pots on the table? but under all my table cloth is a lovely wooden table which was nearly ruined all those years ago when it was brand new by the heat going through a mat for a hot teapot. So, when I realised I needed a tea cozy for the glass teapot, I took this mat and folded it and ahem stapled the sides. It is just right for a tea cozy. Some day I will be ashamed at being lazy and will take out the staples and sew it. For now, it works though!

Oh, and the mug is my special new bone china replacement for the special bone china one that broke.

Next up - the porridge. I like it full of raisins, seeds and nuts, made with milk and nuked in the microwave.

And recently my friend Gabrielle brought some porridge bread to the sewing group. It is not a sweet bread. It is made with yogurt and oats and whatever seeds and nuts you want to add. I liked it, so she gave me the recipe.
Both the Thoughtful Man and I like it so much that I have made it nearly every week since the first time I tried making it. Mine comes out a bit different than Gabrielle's was, but it is still as good. Sometimes the texture is different depending on the choice of seeds/nuts.
And it is even very good toasted lightly, butter added and also cheese. (There might also be a bit of gooseberry curd that happens with it.) All this for my lunch, with a conference pear and a clementine/satsuma/ small citrus thingy .

Hurrah! Porridge twice a day. What's not to like? Good for you!

2 photos, but loads of likes.

To see the likes for the others, go to Lee Anna's blog. You might need to let the North Americans get up in their morning first! 😉

8 comments:

irene macwilliam said...

as soon as I saw your first image I thought, "nice mug"

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love morning rituals and yours are wonderful! Enjoying these little moments is what makes life grand! Cheers!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good Morning Sandy!
Oh how I love that glass teapot! It is beautiful and the perfect size for a spot of tea. The sunflower tea cozy is so nice a sunny and bright - we never would have known about the staple unless you told us! I would have just thought it was folded . . . or sewn. HAHA Porridge twice a day . . . I don't know if I would do that often but I do enjoy it at least once a day. Yum. ~smile~ Roseanne

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I laughed out loud about your staples. Sounds like me- "a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do." Pretty cup. Enjoy! mary in Az

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Morning rituals are important. Like your pretty cup and I think it is mighty resourceful of you to figure out a way to use the cozy so it helps.

PaintedThread said...

Staples are a wonderful thing. I hemmed a skirt like that, once. ;-)

I like the clear teapot. Very cool. And yay for a new tea mug. It's sad when a favorite one breaks.

Sandy said...

Thanks for the comment. I am loving the cup. I am tempted to go buy another ‘just in case’!
I get about 2 1/2 cups from the teapot. Then I go onto the normal tea for the rest of the day.
Sandy

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The porridge bread sounds really yummy! I can see why you would make it every week. I love the glass teapot, too. Enjoy your morning rituals!