Thursday 29 August 2019

Sister Artists

So, teasing a bit, I have finished the embroidery. All that is left is backing and binding.
I hadn’t planned to put a backing and I really liked the way the back told the story of the stitching on the front. But when I was showing my friend the progress and mentioned leaving it like that, she suggested a backing. Her reasoning, that whoever would bid on it might be a bit reluctant on how to hang it and care for it. 
Closeup of part of the reverse. 
As I have thought about that, I realised it was wise advice. Someone who knows textiles might appreciate the view of the back. But if it were someone else, they might worry about threads catching, etc. 
The reverse of the stitching. 

So, I am putting on a backing and binding. I will show the complete version when that is finished. 
Another closeup. 

2 comments:

Kathleen Loomis said...

maybe too late now, and maybe more than you want to invest, but you can buy a frame that has two panes of glass flush against each other -- you sandwich your artwork between the two panes. You hang it with the front side out, but if you want you can take it down and look at the back side.

Sandy said...

A good idea. This time it has to be specifically about the embroidery by the Malian lady. Plus needs to be sent to America. But I can keep it in mind for a future time.